7 Steps to a Better Smile
It is not a big secret that a white smile is one of the attractive facets that can make anyone look younger than they really are. A research done by American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry reveals that 96% believe that a person is more appealing when they possess an attractive smile.
Good dental health is just more than the looks. Since the mouth acts as the gateway to the rest of the body, the health of the teeth and gums plays a major role in impacting the overall health of the body. Certain steps will help not just maintain the health of these parts, but they would also improve the smile.
1. Brush regularly – Dental hygiene is largely based upon brushing, and it serves to eliminate any food particles in the mouth, freshen the breath, and clean the teeth. The fluoride toothpaste also helps improve the strength of the teeth. Dentists recommend to brush at least two minutes with a fluoride toothpaste in order to let it work its magic. It is the reason for most electric toothbrushes to have a default two-minute timer.
2. Floss daily – The bacteria that gets missed by brushing, as a result of getting in between the teeth, can be removed by flossing. It is recommended that flossing should be done twice a day in order to prevent occurrence of gum diseases.
3. Regular Dentist visits – It is recommended to get dental cleanings done by your dentist regularly. Visiting the dentist at least once every six months helps spot early symptoms of gum disease. Early detection can be immensely helpful in a quick recovery. Those who are prone to cavities must consider visiting the dentist once every four months.
4. Healthy diet – Diet often plays a role in helping improve the strength of the teeth. Intake of calcium rich foods will not only help improve the condition of the teeth, but that of bones too. Gum health can be improved by intake of vitamin C.
5. Avoid Smoking – Journal of Periodontology says that gum disease is likely to affect people who smoke regularly, and they are more than four times likely to be affected by the problem than non-smokers. Smoking also increases the chances of oral cancer apart from contributing towards bad breath.
6.Whiten Teeth – Teeth whitening may predominantly be considered as a cosmetic exercise, but today’s products are extremely safe when done under the care and supervision of a dentist. Whitening products that are available over-the-counter are only effective for removing minor stains; one has to go for professional whitening products in order to remove severe stains.
7.Other Cosmetic Options – Since the smile plays an important role in making an impression, it is recommended to undergo cosmetic enhancements in order to fix various issues. Cosmetic dentistry’s incredible rise over the last few years means that everything from stained, crooked, or even oddly shaped teeth can be corrected and improved. Straightening the teeth is also possible through orthodontics.
Cosmetic dentistry does not come under insurance cover; it makes a lot of sense to opt for an experienced cosmetic dentist before undergoing any cosmetic procedure.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!